Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Footsteps In the Sky - by Greg Keyes - And now for something completely different

3 of 5 Stars     Review copy

A combination of Hopi legend, fantasy, and space opera, Footsteps In the Sky is a complex tale of the Fifth World, the result of terraforming over millennia.

The story is set more than 400 years in the future, with the Hopi people inhabiting the Fifth World.  They appear to be descendants from Earth's 20th Century Hopi.  The tale is not so much about how they got there or even why, it's more about division, discovery, and the strong possibility that those who prepared this planet for them are thinking about starting over.

Although filled with intrigue, back-stabbing, and many original ideas, I just found this work to be a bit overbearing.  It may be a matter of sensory overload since there was so much happening all the time.

A demanding read told in a convoluted way, Footsteps In the Sky was a nice diversion from my usual horror fare, but ultimately not something I would like to make a steady diet of.  As challenging a read as this was, this is another time I was glad I saw this one through to the end as it is the kind of story that stays with you well beyond the time spent between the pages.

Footsteps In the Sky was originally written in 1994 and has been re-released as an e-book from Open Road Media and is currently available from a variety of online retailers.

Although I was glad I read it, I can't really recommend this to others.  Of course, your mileage may vary, so don't let me stop you from giving it a shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment